Standing People

Cinnamon Moon 1
Spirit Keeper

24 Sep 2006, 08:58 #1

Jamie Sams: Sacred Path Cards (I higly recommend this set of cards and the book as they are filled with insights into Native spiritual teachings. Thumbs up to
Jamie!)

Standing People: Roots/Giving

The Teaching:

The Standing People, the trees, are our Sisters and Brothers. They are the Chiefs of the plant kingdom. The Standing People provide oxygen for the rest of the
Children of Earth. Through their trunks and branches, trees give shelter to the Winged-ones. In their roots, trees provide burrows for smaller Four-legged
creatures. Materials for building homes for their human relations are another gift of the Tree Nation.

The Cherokee teach that the Stone People hold energy for the Earth Mother and hold specific records of all that has happened in a place. They teach that the
Standing People and all others of the plant kingdom are the givers who constantly provide for the needs of others. The Stone People and the Standing People
balance each other as holders and givers.

The Standing People see the needs of all of Earth's Children and apply themselves to being providers. Each tree and plant has its own gifts, talents, and
abilities to share. For instance, some trees bear fruit and some provide healing on the emotional or physical level. The White Pine is the Tree of Peace and
can bring serenity into the life of a person sitting in its shade. The rain forests are full of trees that carry curative properties and substances such as
rubber that can be used to assist humankind in making useful items. The world is full of gifts that the Standing People have provided. Furniture, chewing gum,
rayon fabric, books, paper, pencils, kitchen matches, spices and seasonings, fruit, nuts, rope, tires, herbal remedies, and grass-roof homes are just a few of
the gifts from the Standing People.

Each Standing Person has a speical lesson to give humankind as well as physical gifts.

Birch gives the essence of truth and the lessons of being straight with ourselves or being deceived by forked-tongue lies.

Pines are peacemakers and peace bringers. Pine teaches the lesson of being in harmony with ourselves and others as well as the lessons of a quiet mind.

Rowen, or Mountain Ash, brings protection from harm and teaches the lessons of seeing through deception as well as the lessons of how to protect our Sacred
Space.

Sycamore teaches the lessons of how to reach our goals and make our dreams come true.

Walnut teaches us clarity or focus using our mental gifts and how to use our intelligence properly.

Oak teaches us strength of character and how to keep our bodies strong and healthy.

Willow is the wood of love and teaches us the give-and-take or bending that is necessary for love to be fruitful.

Cherry teaches us the lessons of clearing the pain of the heart or relating to others in a compassionate manner.

Mimosa is the tree that teaches us the lessons of our female side and the loving heart.

I learned many lessons from the Mimosa when I climbed her branches as a child. She taught me the beauty of feeling feminine and her sweet flowers made perfume
for my hair. She told me the secret of the Fireflies and how they had unborn stars in their tails. Mimosa told me these stars would grow inside each person
with an open heart. Then they would take their place among the Great Star Nation when they had loved and been loved on the Earth. Mimosa told me that the pain
and betrayals each heart would endure were like water tossed on the fire of these tiny stars to see if they could continue to grow in spite of the hurt. Those
that continued to love would one day become big stars and would send the love they had gathered to everyone in the universe as a reminder of the open heart of
Great Mystery. Mimosa reminded me to open my heart and to love, no matter how deep my pain, every time I saw my star light up in a "lightning bug"
that flew by to be my reminder.

Native people from all parts of the world have lived in harmony with the plant kingdom of their areas and have used the plant kingdom's gifts to assist
them in survival. The indigenous people of Mother Earth have only used what they needed and have not hoarded, out of fear of scarcity, the offerings the trees
have given. In our Native American Tradition, we gather all plants in a ceremonial and sacred manner. In my Tradition, we approach the largest plant of the
species we are going to gather from, then we offer Tobacco and ask permission. This is the Chief Plant or Tree of that species since it is the oldest and
largest. When we receive a feeling or message that is all right, we pass the first seven plants or trees we could gather from so that the next seven
generations of humans will be provided for. In honoring our children and our children's children we ensure a future for all creatures as well as the plant
kingdom.

If we receive a "no" when we ask permission from the Chief Plant, we move to another area to gather and ask permission once again. If we are
gathering pine nuts, for example, we only take a little from each tree so that our Brothers and Sisters of the creature kingdom will also be provided for. How
do we know when we have gathered enough from one plant? It is easily recognized by those in tune with our green Sisters and Brothers. The plant will not let go
of its fruit, herbs, or nuts when we have taken enough. The plant will strengthen its limbs and refuse to let go. This is the way in which the giving nature of
the plant says, "You have taken enough, move on."

The Senecas say that each tree has more roots than branches. This is a teaching on how each Standing Person is connected to the Earth Mother. As with the
Standing People, we Two-leggeds have a spine like a trunk, arms like branches, hair like leaves. We reach for the light as the tree's branches reach for
Grandfather Sun. We receive understanding through our antenna, which is our hair, just as the trees receive light through their leaves. Each human has a
different body as do the Standing People; no two are alike. We walk on two legs and see many things whereas our tree relations stand in one place and receive
nurturing from the Earth Mother constantly so that they may give to others all they have. As Two-leggeds, we also give and receive if we are Walking in
Balance. Walking in Balance can be achieved through remembering our roots, the only physical tree-part we are lacking as humans.

The Standing People teach us how to run our roots deep into the Earth to receive spiritual nurturing as well as the reconnective energy that keeps our bodies
healthy. Without these roots we loose Earth-Connection and can no longer Walk in Balance. In my Tradition, we are taught that humankind is the bridge between
Earth and the Sky Nation and like the Standing People, we are of both worlds. To accomplish this balance, we must live in harmony with All Our Relations, be
rooted in this world through our Mother Earth, and allow our spirits to fly through the other worlds and be at one with those realities as well. Without being
rooted in this world we cannot fully understand the purpose of our visions, dreams, potentials, or the Dreamtime reality.

As we return gratitude for the gifts we have received from others, we acknowledge the root of each blessing. The root of anything is its source. If we reuturn
our gratitude to the Source of our blessings, we will balance our world through acknowledging the gifts we receive. We are also reminded that the Ancestors who
rode the Wind before us are a part of our roots and that we are here to respect the value of their gifts and their lives by living in a balanced manner. The
taproot of all civilizations to come lives in each of us in the present. To nurture the future is to honor the seeds of the present by allowing them to grow.
The Standing People are asking us, as Guardians of our Earth Mother, to look for the root of every blessing, acknowledge the truth in it, and use that blessing
for the highest good so that the giving is not in vain.

The Application:

The Standing People card speaks to us of roots and giving. We must nurture ourselves through connection to the Earth in order to give freely without
exhaustion. The root of the Self is where strength is gathered. This root should be firmly earthed in the soil of our Mother Planet. Without this connection,
dreams cannot manifest and our giving cannot be compensated by the Earth Mother. If you are spaced out, stop and reconnect.

Be still and become the trees in order to observe what is growing in your forest. The root of every answer for physical life is found in the Earth. Look to
your family tree for the strength offered by your Ancestors. Lift your branches high, seeking the light of Grandfather Sun and you will see how your roots make
you of the Earth and yet a bridge to the Sky World.

The Standing People are asking you to give of yourself. Ask yourself if you are willing to give and receive. Count the root of very blessing with gratitude.
Find any blockage that limits your root system or ability to go deeper. Then remove that feeling and go deeper once again for the answers you seek. Remember
that we are also the root of the future and through our lives, future generations are nurtured. Weed out anything that will inhibit future growth and you can
stand proud among your Tree Relations.
Last edited by Cinnamon Moon 1 on 25 Mar 2009, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
~To Be A Feather In Spirit's Wing~